Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Bathroom Stencil Part 1

When I gave you the grand tour of my house, I showed you my beautiful pink bathroom.  What a gem right?  That pink was so not my color and was the first to be painted.  Of course, I got my inspiration on Pinterest.  I found this blog which lead me to this blog.  They were both my inspiration in the end and Jones Design Company includes the template for the stencil, perfect.


Lets not forget this beautiful pink bathroom!  All floral decorations are compliments of the previous (male) owner.  Not that there is anything wrong with floral arrangements but these are a bit goofy and that "painting" is just as goofy.

I have been really into blue and coral and wanted blue walls with coral accents.  I had the hardest time deciding on paint colors and went with more of a turquoise in the end.  Instead of using a lighter color for the stencil, I went the opposite way.  I wanted it to really pop.

And the painting began....

(PS my paint had primer in it...2 birds with 1 stone!)

I had some pretty ghetto ways of lighting the room and it involved a lot of contorting in such a confined space.  I took our light fixture out so we wouldn't get paint all over the base of it.

Once my solid color was painted everywhere, I kicked Batman out of the room and began drawing the stencil.  Keep in mind, it is a lot of work but I am in love with the finished product.  I took my stencil and drew it entirely on one wall.  I didn't want too much pattern to be overwhelming in the room, especially since our bathroom is so small.  This was a good idea because it is a very tedious project and would have taken much longer for the rest of the room!

I apologize ahead of time for my low quality pictures of the process.  Luckily, it is explained step by step on the two previous sites.


You can sort of see the stencil.  To get the double line you just place the stencil to meet like a puzzle next to it.



Once I drew it over the entire wall, I began painting.  I started left to right so that my hand wouldn't smudge over it.  Getting behind the toilet was the hardest part.  I put some of my paint in a red solo cup and just carried it with me.  When I was finished for the night I would just wrap it in a plastic bag so that no air could get in and dry out my paint.  I also used old pillow cases (inside out) and trash bags to cover the floor behind the toilet and sink.  I had to improvise with what I had to protect my floors in those smaller areas.

And finally, I was almost finished!


Tonight, I am finishing up some of my coral accents to add to the room.  It has been surprisingly hard to find the right color coral, or any coral at all.  It always seems that when you are looking for something specific, you can never find it!  Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. I love that stencil! I just did my first stencil job last week and it is SOOOO. MUCH. WORK. I only did one wall and I was wimping out about halfway through. Your bathroom is looking amazing so far!

    ReplyDelete